Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Visitaté il Mondo

 my entry collage for Parsons.

For a long time I had been set on joining the fashion and art world. I learned to sew in high school. I played around with different art media. I started keeping inspiration files - in other words, a filing cabinet full of chic postcards, magazine tear-sheets, photos, artwork, sketches and newspaper articles.

In January 2008, I started sorting through my files and pulled out 
an old sunglasses ad with the slogan "Visitaté il Mondo" across the glossy page. It became the inspiration for the entry collage I submitted to Parsons the New School for Design, along with my application and essay.

When I found out I had been accepted into the A.A.S. Fashion Design program, I was ecstatic! I decided I would quit my job at Merrill Lynch and give up my apartment on the Upper East Side to save money on rent. I moved back to NJ. I took 5 days off in between my last day of work and the first day of classes. 


I had gone from Wall Street to Fashion Ave. First semester at Parsons was a total whirlwind. I interned at a fashion public relations firm and worked as a sales model at Abercrombie & Fitch. I was commuting back and forth everyday, with my two Marc Jacobs Little Tate tote bags and my toolbox full of art supplies, jumping between NJ Transit and the Path train (which I still do)

Although my life has changed drastically, everyday now, I live by these same words that inspired my initial project - to visit the world. I've embarked on a journey to explore the past and experience the new. I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring, but I'm ready to take it on...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ali,

    I am also interested in going to Parsons to do the AAS program. I had worked in finance for a while and feel that now is the right time to pursue my dream. Could you please give some tips on the admission process, the essay and the collage?

    Thanks,

    Rheza

    ReplyDelete